- not all apps seem available (e.g. WhatsApp) but most seem there.
- no music / movies / TV shows available
- AV mentioned that they currently selling Brunei iTune gift cards
The gist of the process:
- Load the App Store in iTunes
- Search for a free app (e.g. Angry Birds)
- Download the free app
- Sign up from the dialog box
- Select "None" as a "Payment Method" section during the registration
I still think getting a US iTunes Account is still the best option as it is completely unrestricted. You can create a US account without a credit card, using the same method above but select US instead of Brunei. You will need to buy gift cards online though, and I have bought iTune gift cards from both PC Game Supply and Jerry Cards with good results so thus far. See which works best for you and join the ecosystem that has yet to be rivaled (especially outside the US).
A ‘live’ / non-Skype Corner Geeks recording this week as I sat down with @mfirdaus as we discussed the Brunei Apple App Store while also passing him the InstallESD.dmg file for Lion. We hope that this is the start of more services being opened to Brunei and perhaps a legal way for people to get music, movies and TV shows in the future.
- Apple brings the iOS and Mac App Store to 33 new territories, including Brunei!
- We can register with a Brunei Credit Card
- AV Electronics, the premium reseller of Apple products, says they aren’t currently selling Brunei iTunes gift cards
- Registration without a credit card is possible with the same hack/work around to register a US account without a credit card (try download a free app in the App Store and create an account from there)
- Brunei just has an App Store, not a full iTunes store with Music / Movies / TV Shows
- Not all apps available in the iOS App Store: e.g. WhatsApp (could be developer’s setting when publishing app or some other unknown restrictions)
- Prices shown in store are in US dollars
- App ratings are reset meaning Brunei apps could make it to the recommended list
- Sources for US gift cards: PC Game Supply / Jerry Cards (I have bought once from each of these sellers before and can verify that they work)